Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] another segfault with sander14 and TI/softcore

From: Josh Berryman <the.real.josh.berryman.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:14:23 +0100

Well, you get a DV/DL result out in the normal mdout file if you set

ifsc=0, logdvdl=0

and the docs already list logdvdl under the softcore-related options, so
its reasonable-ish to have this apply only when ifsc!=0

In terms of having the needed functionality, and behaviour being consistent
with documentation, Dave's mdread2() fix is OK, however the need for this
is a symptom of the overall state of TI calculations between sander and
pmemd being fairly complicated and having something of a transitional
feeling about it.

I guess this is the way it is for backwards compatibility. Do we need to
keep supporting the old (multiple parmtop) way of doing it? Would a
rewrite simplify both code and docs? Plenty of big clusters are still on
AMBER12 or earlier, so bear in mind that changed made today may not reach
users until 2020 anyway.

New behaviour could be that ifsc = 0 is equivalent in output to
ifsc=1,scalpha=0, but with the actual softcore vdw calculation being
skipped in the code (invisibly to the user but of course saving a little
time).

Josh