Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] CUDA test failed

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 12:24:57 -0700

Hi Dan,

I've been meaning to overhaul the GPU test suite for a while now but never
get a block of undisturbed time long enough to do it. We have the option
to set ig < -1 now which will use the CPU random number generator - that
will address the tests that depend on the random stream. We also need to
tweak dacdif a bit - one thing that is needed is a way to strip out the
average and RMS values from the end of the runs and not compare them - a
lot of the larger differences are in these parts of the mdout rather than
individual lines. I also need to repeat a check of DPFP against the CPU
code - I do this every now and then for sanity but haven't had a chance to
do it in a while.

So, at some point I'll fix it - but note this will be a large patch if we
plan to release it as an update.

All the best
Ross

On 10/16/14, 11:02 AM, "Daniel Roe" <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> That's easily the result of running on a different GPU architecture
>>(Fermi
>> versus Kepler, SM 3.0 versus SM 3.5) or using a different toolkit than
>>the
>> system used to generate those reference files.
>
>I figured it would be something like that. Maybe we should print some
>sort of message in the CUDA SPFP test output to this effect? And also
>maybe tell them to run the tests with DPFP if they are really
>paranoid?
>
>-Dan
>

>> And there's zero zip nada null I can do to address that. You guys would
>> have to build specific reference files for each class of GPU (GK104,
>>GK110,
>> GM204, GM107, GF1xx) x Toolkits (6.5, 6.0, 5.5, 5.0)
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I know that there was some discussion of this right after the Amber 14
>>> release, but I wasn't sure where we ended up on this.

>>>--
>>> the

>>>each
>>> GPU
>>>design a
>>>specified
>>>for
>>> are
>>>
>>> Are we sure this is the correct explanation? I ask because I see some
>>> diffs that don't appear to be related to thermostat. For example, in
>>> the serial CUDA minimization test for chamber/dhfr_pbc at the final
>>> step the dihedral energy absolute diff is 2.33E-01:
>>>
>>> cuda/chamber/dhfr_pbc/mdout.dhfr_charmm_pbc_noshake_min.dif
>>> .< DIHED = 739.3609
>>> .> DIHED = 739.3595
>>>
>>> This is larger than what is usually considered "acceptable" for CPU -
>>> is it OK for GPU? There are many test diffs (at least using the
>>> compile from the GIT tree as of Oct. 8):
>>>
>>> Serial:
>>> 89 file comparisons passed
>>> 36 file comparisons failed
>>> 0 tests experienced errors