Re: [AMBER-Developers] nofftw3 and MKL

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 07:50:45 -0400

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014, Dan Roe wrote:

> Actually, what I'd really be in favor of is having the fftw3 (actually
> any 'external' libraries) configure/build process be like NetCDF where
> it is only configured and built when needed (first time, whenever
> compiler changes etc). Also, being able to specify an already-compiled
> fftw3 would be great.

I sort of agree, but I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "only
configured and built when needed". I'd like to see external libraries
built at configure time, and not (as at present) sometimes built deep
inside pbsa or other Makefiles. The configure2 script should know what is
needed, and can make choices about whether a rebuild is necessary (as it
does now for netcdf). This should allow us to simplify Makefiles further
down the tree.

...dac