Re: [AMBER-Developers] updating Amber.lyx

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:44:20 -0400

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014, Nadine Homeyer wrote:

> As I edited Amber.lyx under windows I had to copy it back to Linux. Does
> copying files into git from another location generally overwrite the
> changes others did in these files?

Yes, exactly. Git, or any other revision control program, has no way of
knowing whether you *intended* to reverse the changes that were made during
the time you were editing things in Windows, or whether this was an
inadvertent change.

It is the copying of files from Windows (or any other place outside of the
repository) into the git repository that does the damage. You really have to
either set up git on Windows (not hard at all), or do your editing on the
Linux machine. Then, if someone else updates the file while you are editing
it, git will recognize that and give an error message.

I'm cc-ing this to the Amber developers' list, so others won't make a similar
error. And, perhaps others on the list can give a clearer explanation of the
problem, or knows a pointer to a web site that goes over this issue. It's
actually a very common mistake, so don't feel bad. No real harm was done.

...dac