Re: [AMBER-Developers] issues with born radii

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 15:54:10 -0600

OK, after chatting with Tom about this a bit I think we've hit upon a
potentially useful solution. The basic idea is to have a new parameter
file type - a "TypeMod" file - that can be read in (like frcmod files)
to modify atom type parameters beyond mass and polarizability. For
example, it could look something like this (almost like the VDW
section in parm files):

#Type gbradius description
CT 1.7 "mbondi"
c3 1.7 "mbondi"

When you change parameter sets in LEaP via "set default pbradii
mbondi" or something it can automatically source the right file
(something like $AMBERHOME/dat/leap/parm/typemod.mbondi) to keep
backwards compatibility. We could also potentially support wildcards,
but I think it would be best if every atom type got assigned a
specific GB radius.

This could even be an extensible format that would allow you to modify
other things like mass and vdw params on a single line, but wouldn't
require modifying the existing parm format. You could define what is
being modified by what the columns are named in the file header, and
denote specific entries that shouldn't be modified with '-':

#Type gbradius vdw_r description
CT 1.7 0.0860 "mbondi, modified vdw R"
c3 1.7 - "mbondi, do not modify vdw R"

Anyway, just an idea.