Re: [AMBER-Developers] AmberTools12.lyx broken?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:52:31 -0400

As Dan mentioned, the current HEAD seems to be in pretty good shape.

git-related advice for manual updates follows:

Merging a Lyx file is less stable than merging source files. A good
strategy in my experience, if git reports a conflict, is *not* to try to
resolve it by hand, but rather to copy the LyX file to some other location,
get a copy of the 'current' origin git manual, open both your version and
the 'official', and copy your changes over to the 'official' manual from
your backed up copy. I can envision 2 scenarios where you'll run into this:

1) You have already made local commits and a "git pull" reports a conflict:

If you have already created a commit to the manual locally but haven't
pushed, you should copy your version of the LyX file somewhere safe, do a
"git fetch origin" to update your repo's knowledge of what is on the
remote, then do a

git checkout origin/master doc/AmberTools12.lyx

to replace the LyX file in your repository with the most up-to-date one in
the main repository. Commit this change and then do your git pull, which
should not report a merge failure (at least in the LyX file). Then follow
the above copy-and-paste instructions to apply your changes to the latest
version (and commit your changes quickly! ;)).

2) You have local changes, but you have not made any commits:

If you have NOT committed any changes to the manual, and instead get an
error like "cannot pull because you have local changes", then you should
first copy your lyx version somewhere outside the git repository then stash
your changes:

git stash

do your pull (git pull), then try to put your changes back:

git stash pop

If this reports a conflict, don't try to resolve it. Just do a "git reset
HEAD" followed by a

git checkout doc/AmberTools12.lyx

to reset the manual back to the current state in the git tree. Then, open
your backup in LyX alongside the 'official' manual and copy your changes
over.

I hope this is helpful to some,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,