Re: [AMBER-Developers] Oddities in runmd.F90 in pmemd

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 08:33:53 -0800

I'm working on the fix if this is indeed a result of FPRE. My belief right
now is that NTP scaling of the restraint data causes it to contract and
expand and this cumulatively shrinks the box it occupies. This then causes
a pressure bleed by pushing the real atom coordinates towards the origin
and this then raises pressure. The real atom coordinates have the PE
function operating to prevent this from happening as a result of
pressure-scaling, but the restraint coordinates do not. I admit it's a
hypothesis, and if it's true, it also means that I would ultimately expect
to see this after hundreds of millions of iterations in full DP, but it's
currently the only thing I can think of that fits the bizarre behavior here
that doesn't manifest itself at all until 200K iterations or so and then
gradually heats things up.

I've seen similar behavior with transformation matrices in the past that
requires frequent renormalization. The solution I'm trying to is always
use the original but pre-centered restraint data, with the centers of mass
pre-transformed into fractional coordinates and then regenerating the
restraint coordinates for each step from the unit cell matrix.

Scott