Re: [AMBER-Developers] AMBER Cruise Control Server

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 20:12:47 -0500

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012, Ross Walker wrote:

> But isn't that a good thing? If someone submits something to the tree that
> leads to one of the parallel tests hanging we want the commit marked as a
> failure and it to remain that way until the problem is rectified. If it
> just skips a hung test and carries on running the rest of the tests then
> it is not immediately obvious that somebody broke something.

Why is a bug that leads to an MPI hang more important to mark than some other
(equally bad) error where the job finishes quickly?

Second, presumably a test that failed because of a new "MPI timeout" would
still count as a failed test. But cruise control would still be able to
go on to other tests in the test suite, so one can tell if one has a isolated
failure or a generic one.

Both these arguments suggest that is is a "good thing" to limit the time spent
on any individual test.

...dac