Re: [AMBER-Developers] AMBER Cruise Control Server

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:47:43 -0500

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 02:04:26PM -0800, Robin Betz wrote:
> > Regarding infinite hangs on the tests, the Cruisecontrol test task has
> been
> > set up with a time limit of 6 hours in which to complete all the tests,
> > after which it will be killed and will show up in a failure state. Given
> > that it seems to take about 2 hours at the most, I think this gives
> plenty
> > of time for the tests to complete without having to worry about infinite
> > hangs.
>
> But the problem with an overall time limit is that the hung test
> eats up all the remaining time and the following tests are not run.
> This has a been a nuisance for several releases where for example
> testing via a batch queue does not run all the tests because of hangs.
>
> For those using mpirun (not me at osc) see -maxtime min and -cpu time.
> On the other hand a shell wrapper of mpibla for use via DO_PARALLEL
> "Should be pretty simple for some Bash whizz to figure out."

I hadn't even thought about this. From the mpiexec (mpich2 and mpich3) man
page:

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES FOR MPIEXEC
       The following environment variables are understood by some
versions of mpiexec . The command line arguments have priority over
       these; that is, if both the environment variable and command line
argument are used, the value specified by the command line argu-
       ment is used.

       MPIEXEC_TIMEOUT
              - Maximum running time in seconds. mpiexec will
 terminate MPI programs that take longer than the value specified by
              MPIEXEC_TIMEOUT .
...etc.

If you use mpich2, you can just set this environment variable when you run
the tests. From what I can see, no such analog for OpenMPI (too bad).

All the best,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate