Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] manual prmtop file editing for free energy calculation

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 11:08:07 -0700

Hey David,
My issue is this. Coming from the outside, it looked like the cn1 and cn2
tables were generated from a pre-defined model rather than as an arbitrary
set of editable values. This isn't strongly specified one way or the other
in the code.

Given the existence of a pre-defined model (The AMBER force field), I made
the assumption it was OK to extract sigma and epsilon for each of the m
atom types and store those per each of the n atoms instead of per each of
the m atom types. This eats O(n) global memory instead of O(m^2) global
memory, which is a net-win for the cn1 and cn2 tables up to this point.

However, pmemd.cuda attains its performance boost by running entirely out
of cache. With the old approach, 8 * O(m^2) + 4 bytes per atom in the
cache is consumed as opposed to 8 bytes per atom for storing per atom.
Significant spillage out of cache is a performance disaster on GPUs and
their biggest Achilles Heel IMO.

This of course breaks off-diagonal hacking. SM 1.3 GPUs don't have enough
cache left to do this. SM 2.x and higher can probably support 50-100 atom
types before spilling. i have to assume someone will go past this limit
because that's what always happens IMO.

Scott