Re: [AMBER-Developers] Amber12 release candidate 2

From: B. Lachele Foley <lfoley.uga.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 18:54:12 +0000

This has been happening, seemingly randomly, every few compiles over the last week or so. It finally happened in the release candidate, so I'll share. The first few times, I thought I had made a typo or something. But, then I could "make clean" and use the up-arrow to replicate my commands, and the install would be fine. Many other times the install would go fine the first time. So, if it's pebkac, it's not yer usual. After that, I thought maybe there's some glitch in my system. But, the fail is always during sander. If it were some random hardware or memory bug, it seems that it would occur at different places during the install. Also, as far as I can tell, neither system load nor number of make threads makes a difference. If it were a libraries issue or some such, I wouldn't expect it to be random. I haven't been saving the error text until now. Like I said, I only recently became convinced that it might possibly be something in amber. So, I can't swear it always happens in exactly the same place, but it has definitely always been during the sander install. This last time, it was in "gfortran ... -o sander ..." and involved a bunch of netcdf complaints. This time, I had done: ./configure gnu make -j 8 install Wild guess: There is a hidden dependency and sometimes one process just goes a little to fast or slow and upsets it? I have only seen this with multiple threads because I've only been doing it with multiple threads. I've seen it with all numbers I've tried: 4, 8 and 16 threads. I suppose I could try a single thread install 15 or 20 times as a test. This happens once every 5-10 installs (wild estimate). I've attached the last bits of the compiler messages from the recent fail. If/when it happens again, I'll try to take better notes. I realize it's hard to fix a random bug. If there's anything else I can do or try, please say. BTW, I did this install because I got weird test results the time before. I re-did it yet again, and, randomly, it's installed fine. I'm testing again now. $ gcc --version gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3) 4.6.1 $ uname -a Linux rime 3.0.0-15-generic #26-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 20 17:23:00 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Ubuntu 11.10 Alternative CD LTSP server :-) Lachele Dr. B. Lachele Foley Complex Carbohydrate Research Center The University of Georgia Athens, GA USA lfoley.uga.edu http://glycam.ccrc.uga.edu