Re: [AMBER-Developers] Builds of AMBER 12 with gcc 4.1.2 failing

From: Tyler Luchko <tluchko.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:54:33 -0400

On 2012-03-17, at 12:06 PM, Tyler Luchko wrote:

> On 2012-03-17, at 12:26 AM, Ross Walker wrote:
>
>> Hi Tyler,
>>
>>> I think we should have a consistent policy as to what happens when some
>>> functionality is not available with a particular compiler or whatever.
>>> IMO, I think configure should _always_ die with an error message and
>>> explicit instructions on how to proceed. My previous error message
>>> would return the user's original configure command modified such that
>>> RISM would not be built by adding '-norism' and removing any instances
>>> of '-rism'. This way they could copy and paste to quickly get to the
>>> next step but also knew exactly what functionality was missing.
>>
>> The problem is that ./configure -norism gnu no longer works. It still tries
>> to build rism because of the dependency on rism that has been introduced in
>> the building of libsff. So right now it makes no difference if -norism is
>> specific or not - the build process still tries to build FFTW3 and that's
>> where it crashes.
>

> I've pushed out a working version that still automatically turns on -norism for older compilers.
>
> I apologize for the problems as this my fault. I tried to clean up the build process a bit and did test the -norism flag (it didn't produced any RISM executables) but neglected to test it with GNU 4.1.2.
>
> I will now re-implement the original error message for configure unless there are any objections.

I've changed configure to throw an error and give an explicit error message with instructions on how to proceed. It has been tested with CentOS 5.7 (GNU 4.1.2 [serial and MPI], Intel 10.1 018 [serial and MPI] and PGI 9.0-1 and 9.0-4), Ubuntu 11.10 (GNU 4.6.2) and Mac OS X 10.6.8 (4.6.3).

There are many places in configure that throw similar errors (or maybe they should, e.g. automatically turning off MTK++ for certain flags) and would benefit from providing the user with a modified configure command. If there are no objections, I can update these error messages to have the same uniform output and information.

Tyler