Re: [AMBER-Developers] need suggestions about Amber12 build/test procedure

From: B. Lachele Foley <lfoley.uga.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:58:04 +0000

First thing:

I want to compliment you all on the new build. It's easier by far, seems stabler, and is WAY faster. I swear the entire thing now takes half the time that AmberTools, alone, used to. Whatever it was you did, oh thankyouthankyouthankyou.

Getting back to topic:

The build process isn't terrible, but could it be collapsed for users who don't need special stuff? I'm thinking something along the lines of:

./configure -all -mpi gnu
make install

for folks without cuda, and

./configure -all -mpi -cuda gnu
make install

for folks with cuda. The idea being it would go through the serial, parallel, etc., all in a row as usual, for folks who have standard needs. It could maybe make all the necessary config.h-like files and set links from "config.h" to the right one between build sets (or set an environment, etc.). The old methods would still be there for people who need them. Of course, this adds entropy...

Given how much longer the tests have generally taken than the install, I typically install everything, then start the tests and go home, off to dinner, etc... So, I prefer doing all the tests at the end. But, I'm not going to get upset one way or the other. And, I do fall into the "able to read a makefile" category.

:-) Lachele

Dr. B. Lachele Foley
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center
The University of Georgia