Re: [AMBER-Developers] Proposed parm top addition

From: Brent Krueger <kruegerb.hope.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 10:19:18 -0500

As someone who follows this list mostly as a user, I would like to second
Carlos's observation that a warning in the output file is probably not
sufficient.

I will make a naive suggestion that y'all can shoot down. My understanding
is that the current topology file format is quite flexible. Couldn't it be
the case that there is a field there that might indicate something about
both the version of leap and the force field that were used to create the
topology file? For instance, maybe the %VERSION field reports that AT12
and parm99sb were used to generate the file. I suppose identifying a single
version of a FF is not well-defined. Maybe all parm and frcmod files that
were loaded could be identified (yuck)? At any rate, certainly AT12 leap
could put some flag there to reassure pmemd/sander that everything is
kosher for the particular combination of leap and FF that this particular
discussion has focused on. Then pmemd/sander could choke if such a flag
were missing.

On a related note, as someone who uses different FFs and works with
residues that require custom frcmod files essentially 100% of the time, I
would really love to have some information in the topology file itself
about the parameters that were used to make it. So, if such information
aided the original problem of this discussion, how nice that would be.

Cheers,
Brent