Re: [AMBER-Developers] Yacc dependency

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:25:16 -0500

To add on -- the command appears to just be using yacc, not
$AMBERHOME/bin/yacc. I'm tempted to suggest that maybe the system you're
testing the build on doesn't have a system yacc installed.

I'm also pretty sure that the system yacc (or bison) will be used before
the Amber yacc if it's present. I say this due to a thread which I think I
started on the dev list a couple years ago regarding the fact that the
Amber yacc didn't even work for what Amber needed it to do -- it had just
been masked for so long since it was never really needed.

Scott B. had found the offending line and fixed it. Here is one of the
threads: http://dev-archive.ambermd.org/201107/0023.html -- it can be
traced through there. I've built parallel without serial first plenty of
times, and it's never broken for me. Presumably because a system yacc
filled the dependency that your automated build system is choking on.

I agree that yacc should probably be a parallel build dependency, but if
it's already installed on the system (which is typical) I don't think it
matters.

All the best,
Jason

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM, David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012, Robin Betz wrote:
> >
> > Currently AMBER serial compilation builds yacc, which is then used in the
> > parallel compilation. I believe that this is the only reason that serial
> > needs to be build before parallel.
> > Should yacc be built by AMBER at all? Most distributions have the byacc
> > package that will provide it. It could be added as a dependency instead
> and
> > removed from the AMBER source.
>
> I don't understand why yacc can't just be a dependency of the parallel
> build; I thought(?) that had already been done. Yacc is trivial to build,
> and I'd rather use the Amber version than rely on a (unknown version of)
> byacc that might be available on "most distributions".
>
> ....dac

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate