Re: [AMBER-Developers] Amber atom type naming (and parms)

From: Yong Duan <duan.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:41:02 -0800

I think 109.6 is better.

I actually think we should use standard bond angles, 180, 120, 109.5, 107
and avoid (over)fitting to any specific molecules.

We recently ran into a funny case in which the nucleic acid base can be
notably deformed to almost tetrahedral geometry. It's actually not a new
case. I think it has been there since the beginning of amber nucleic acid
force field. If you look at parm91.dat, a lot of bond angles are notably
off the canonical values. Magically, when you put them together, they
typically make sense. In other words, these parameters were designed just
to make sure those particular molecules (nucleic acids and amino acids)
were well-modeled. However, in special cases, they could just become
funny. For example when a planar sp2 carbon's three bond angles sum
together is notably smaller than 360, you'd have the base no longer
planar. This is not a new issue. Those of us who have been around long
enough know this all along. For long time, the solution was to use
improper to compensate such defect. The problem is that bond angle
energies are typically at 50 kcal/mole/rad**2. You'd need improper
parameters of comparable magnitude to compensate that, just plain
ridiculous. The root cause of these problems, IMHO, is the over-fitting of
the bond angles to a particular (set of) chemistry. I suspect that the
<OS-P-OS = 102.6 was also such case. Fortunately, (or unfortunately), it
is not part of the planar construct. Therefore, nobody has paid much
attention to it.

Glad you guys pick up this.

--
Yong Duan, Ph.D, Professor