Re: [AMBER-Developers] Dear Professor Case, I would like to enquiry whether the current amber will still support gcc4.1.2 in the future release. Thank you.

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:47:48 -0500

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> > $ emerge --search AmberTools
> > Searching...
> > [ Results for search key : AmberTools ]
> > [ Applications found : 1 ]
> >
> > * sci-chemistry/ambertools [ Masked ]
> > Latest version available: 1.5-r1
> > Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> > Size of files: 118,256 kB
> > Homepage: http://ambermd.org/#AmberTools
> > mechanics
> > investigations
> > License: GPL-2
>
> That's nice of them. I presume they also include all the latest bugfixes
> automagically or have some feature for the end user to know they need to do
> this.

I don't think so. A quick look suggests they stop at bugfix.10 (latest
last time they updated it would appear). They do gut the installation a
little bit, not installing anything that builds its own 3rd-party libs
(like mdgx, MMPBSA.py, etc.), which I just saw from a glance at their
custom patch, as well as a bit of monkey-patching to use externally-built
libs, like NetCDF and FFTW-2 (for RISM).

Our build system is not too conducive to package managers right now (which
is probably why AmberTools is masked in that PM).

All the best,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate