Re: [AMBER-Developers] some thoughts about sander and Amber12

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 08:26:32 -0500

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011, Yong Duan wrote:

> Ten years ago, it probably made
> sense to have a person responsible for making and distributing CDs. Is it
> still the case nowadays?

We no longer distribute CD's. User fees supports a part of Nicole's
salary, and she handles most of the administrative work of sending out
licenses, collecting money, doing the accounting, and responding to user
questions. (I take care of many other administrative tasks.) I don't see
any way that we could spend any less on administration and still collect
money from users.

In any event, the amount going to Nicole (and to UCSF) is way below the cost
of "a couple of programmers".

> We can then think strategically how to integrate Amber into the broad
> modeling community. Right now, all these are just impossible. We can not
> rely on an army of volunteers to run a for-fee package and expect to
> compete with other well-funded efforts.

These are interesting points...thanks for your comments.

...dac