Re: [AMBER-Developers] updating Fortran files to .F/.F90

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:52:54 -0400

Hi,

I've done this. It does indeed seem to be a universal convention,
and it works on case insensitive file systems.
But your motivations don't persuade me that it has
significant advantages for Amber.

Here's the story. A long time ago, before the C preprocessor
was ubiquitous and when configuration interaction was still king
of the ab initio arts, the COLUMBUS programmers created cmdc.
cmdc enabled conditional Fortran compilation from master source
files so that one suite of COLUMBUS files could be distributed
on tape for IBM mainframes, Cray 1 supercomputers, etc.
:)
In 2005 we eliminated cmdc and leapfrogged over the C preprocessor
to compiler invoked Fortran preprocessors using .F, etc.
There have been very few problems; the problems i remember are
due to case insensitive file systems; and they have been fixable.
For example, our first attempt to implement a one file
approach for version info failed on mac's because we used a .f
intermediate file; we reworked it:

Makefile
--------
.PHONY: HEADWR
headwr.o: HEADWR
# Create headwr.inc to get the distribution version into headwr.F
HEADWR:
   echo " distribution='"`cat ../../../doc/version`\' >headwr.inc

headwr.F
--------
      p = program
      v = version
      include 'headwr.inc' ! this defines distribution.
      write(unit, 100) p, v, distribution
 100 format(//,
     & 5x, '********************************************'/
     & 5x, '** PROGRAM: ', 1x, a, 4x, '**'/
     & 5x, '** PROGRAM VERSION: ', 1x, a, 4x, '**'/
     & 5x, '** DISTRIBUTION VERSION:', 1x, a, 4x, '**'/
     & 5x, '********************************************'/)

As far as Amber, I think the C preprocessor was used because
it was (almost?) ubiquitous and there was no Fortran equivalent.
I think the Fortran standard is still vague on preprocessor details,
but #ifdef, etc all work in practice.
I did the COLUMBUS conversion using simple unix commands,
and it was simple and error free.
But your (1) has never bothered me, and I doubt that (2) has
much gain (is it even measurable ?). (3) might be true, but
are we planning that change ?

scott