Re: [AMBER-Developers] Anyone use restricted pointers in C?

From: <dcerutti.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 23:33:05 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, I talked with Bob a good deal about the splining he does and I think
I do an equivalent spline (I may have things set even more
aggressively--the PMEMD spline table may be larger than mine with finer
discretization, but that would only work in my favor if it were a speed
issue). I have two modes, as I think Bob made, specifiable in the &cntrl
or perhaps the &ewald namelist if I recall, which permit the user to
toggle separate force and energy splines or to compute forces from the
derivative of a single energy spline. In the latter case, the inner loop
does not actually branch, I think it just fills the same spline with the
derivative values and a zero. I forget exactly what it's doing but
there's certainly no branch in the inner loop about this. Reducing the
spline order to quadratic, which is essentially what the latter method
does, is pretty gruesome on the numerics vis-a-vis the actual energy
you're trying to compute, but may get you better conservation of a less
accurate measure of the energy since your force is strictly the derivative
of your smoothly varying potential energy function. The default is to
just do separate force and energy lookups.

I use valgrind all the time, but not the cachegrind feature so much.
Perhaps the next generation of processors will fix my problems.

Dave