Re: [AMBER-Developers] alternates to sleap (plus new sleap bug)

From: B. Lachele Foley <lfoley.uga.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 15:41:15 +0000

> > Glycam06 X -X -N -CG 1.5 180. 2. X -X -N -H
> First, I don't understand the X-X-N-H comment at the end of the glycam06 line:

Heh... yeah... good question. We're hunting the origin of it now. Obviously, it isn't parm94 or parm99.

> It looks like (a) the glycam06 file is subtly inconsistent with parm99; (b) that wild
> cards are again causing trouble, especially since the chemical environment of
> atom type "N" in glycam is very different than atom type "N" in proteins.

We do require a larger force constant to hold certain bits planar the sort of environment oligosacchardes are likely to create. 1.5 might not be enough. But, I think we can rearrange things so that there are not inconsistencies: that N gets treated how it needs to be treated in the different environments. We're working on that, too.

> The criterion is this: the central atom is always at position 3; positions 1,2
> and 4 are filled in alphabetical order by atom type.

Somehow, I suspect that protocol was not strictly respected in a variety of instances (parm file, code, etc.).

> One way forward is to replace the wild cards above with specific impropers;
> that has been urged for some time, and is probably needed more than ever.

We're discussing this, too.

:-) Lachele

Dr. B. Lachele Foley
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center