Re: [AMBER-Developers] XMIN minimisation and coordinates

From: <istvan.kolossvary.hu>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 05:47:25 +0100

Hi Ben,

> Thus, my question is: what values of return_flag actually correspond
> to a "real" minimisation step of the sort that can be written out to
> restart / checkpoint files? Or is this a meaningless question in the
> context of xmin? I thought, when I asked this earlier, that I
> received an answer of 4, 5 or 6; but the numbers I'm seeing today
> call that into question.
>
> Or, put another way: under what conditions are the lines starting
> "MIN:" printed out (assuming the appropriate verbosity is turned
> on)? And are those same conditions available to the parent routines,
> whether xmin (in NAB) or run_xmin (in sander)? Because I want to be
> able to save the coordinates at those same points.

The return_flag values are defined below. OLDNBL and NEWNBL are used
in NAB referring to whether XMIN needs a new energy/gradient with the
current nonbonded list (OLDNBL) or requires a forced nonbonded list
update (NEWNBL). When "MIN:" is printed NEWNBL is used. Values 1, 2,
and 3 leave the decision of whether or not to update the list, to NAB.
  If I remember correctly, this distinction is not made in Sander and,
therefore, 1, 4, and 7 are equivalent and, similarly, 2=5=8, and
3=6=9, respectively.

#define DONE 0
#define CALCENRG 1
#define CALCGRAD 2