Re: [AMBER-Developers] bugfix protocol; was Re: misused intent(out)

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:23:53 -0500

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 09:34:20AM -0500, case wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011, Mark Williamson wrote:
>
> > At this moment in time, the amber11 branch has lost sync with the
> > published bugfixes;
>
> Here's my suggestions:
>
> 1. get rid of the existing amber11 branch; I don't think anyone is using it
> (but speak up!) and it is not reliable for its original intended usage.

Everyone that releases a bugfix should be using a patched amber11
to test their fix !

> 2. if people need to see what users have (e.g. for debugging problem reports)
> they should do this:
>
> check out the "v_11" tag from git (presumably into a clean directory);
> apply the bugfixes from the web page

Everyone that releases a bugfix should be using a patched amber11
to test their fix !

> 3. When AmberTools 1.5 is released, we will tag that. (That tag will also
> include whatever is on the master branch for amber itself as well, but I don't
> see that as a major problem: if you are interested only in AmberTools, just
> ignore the rest.
>
> 4. Someone could use the procedure in item 2 above to recreate an
> amber11-with-patches branch. The periodically repeat it to keep it up to
> date. (We should not go back to the current, error-prone method of manually
> applying changes to the amber11 branch -- changes there should always come
> directly from the web page, so we can be certain that the branch and the web
> page are in sync.) But personally, I am not sure the gain is worth the effort
> to do this.

Perhaps a significant cause of the error-prone-ness of the
current method was merely that there was no protocol.
A simple check-list might do wonders.
Given that
Everyone that releases a bugfix should be using a patched amber11
to test their fix !
an amber11-with-patches branch should reduce the tedium of
releasing bugfixes.

scott