Re: [AMBER-Developers] sqm success/failure on ANP

From: Eric Pettersen <pett.cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:35:13 -0800

Hi Ross,
        Your points are well taken. If my usage scenario were that of a
researcher doing an in-depth analysis of the 2ews system I would
certainly hope to carry out the kinds of sophisticated calculations
you outline, but that's not my usage scenario. As a developer of
Chimera I need to use antechamber/sqm to assign not-unreasonable
partial charges to these kinds of molecules so that systems can be
prepared in a semi-automated fashion for docking runs or written out
as prmtop files or used directly in Chimera's minimizer (which
currently used MMTK but for which we hope to develop a Python
interface to Amber's SFF routines soon), etc.
        My hope, of course, is that something is better than nothing, at
least for the kind of users that could not possibly hope to carry out
ab initio calculations to get a more exact answer without at least
many additional months of effort. And of course for certain kinds of
bulk calculations such an approach is infeasible anyway.
        If it turns out that sqm simply cannot perform the charge computation
on something like an ionized ATP molecule then I may have to use
"charge templates" for such molecules as much as possible, like
Chimera already does for amino/nucleic acids and water. Perhaps using
values from the "AMBER parameter database" (http://www.pharmacy.manchester.ac.uk/bryce/amber
) or some such. Maybe I should do the latter anyway for ionized ATP/
ADP/GTP/GDP (which is the only form in the database) -- any opinion on
whether the database charges are comparable or better than the
corresponding (successful) sqm computation?

--Eric