[AMBER-Developers] current git checkout fails to compile

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:02:20 -0700

Hello,

The recent commits in sff/ and nab/ seem to have broken things. When
building AmberTools, I get the following error:

(cd nab && make install )
cd ../sff; make install
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `errormsg.h', needed by `prm.o'. Stop.
make[1]: *** [libsff] Error 2
make: *** [serial] Error 2

Which is obviously going to fail since errormsg.h was moved out of sff and
into nab. However, removing these from the Makefile just causes complaints
about traceback.o, which is part of the nab build that occurs after sff is
built and executed. I can probably shuffle things around to make it compile
again, but I'd rather not reverse what was done if it was done
intentionally.

I'll add another comment here from my (limited) experience. The wiki
provides the advice to add the global configuration setting "git config
--global status.showUntrackedFiles no", which I think may be a strong
contributor to these types of errors. If untracked files are not shown,
then files like these that were removed from the repo history, but not
removed from the working tree, would be invisible to any kind of "git
status", yet would silently allow the above changes to compile when they
would not work in a clean tree.

My suggestion is to turn this setting off (or set it back to yes), and build
from a clean tree when rearrangements are made, since I've found a number of
my own mistakes doing that. You can use the command "git status -uno" to
ignore untracked files if you don't want to be bombarded with untracked
objects and preprocessed files. Alternatively, I suppose, you can keep the
setting to "no" and use "git status -uall" instead...

I also have an alias to remove untracked files (that are noticed by git
status) that I use frequently to clean my tree before attempting an install
if that'll prove helpful:

alias cleangit='for x in `git status | grep -P -e "^#\t" | grep -v -i
modified | grep -v -i deleted | sed -e "s/#//g"`; do rm -fr $x; done'

If untracked files are set to hide by default, the git status above should
probably be changed to git status --all. It works for me on both OS X and
Linux.

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Graduate Student