Re: [AMBER-Developers] Testing Server

From: B. Lachele Foley <lfoley.uga.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 20:15:14 +0000

> Bypassing the testing/reporting/fixing responsibility by using old versions is bad for Amber - for the many reasons,

We dig this, we agree, and we do try. We have Amber Sprawl on all the main computers in our lab. Granted our last development build is a month old, but I've been trying to finish a paper... Grad students need to get research done so they can publish papers and graduate. I can't blame them for focusing on that. They get plenty of frustration out here on the bleeding edge. They're willing to help. It's just that their time is generally oversubscribed as it is.

The reason we suggest the testing server is to help us determine what is actually a bug and what is something else (bad libraries, whacked input files). Cloning, building, testing and then testing for the bug can take hours, particularly when you get into "does it happen on Intel? 32-bit? did it happen in amber10? different compiler? etc., etc..." It can get even more complex, for example, when installation rules change during development. If there were a platform where we could get a quick assessment of whether it works in an "approved" configuration, our troubleshooting would be eased significantly.

:-)