Re: [AMBER-Developers] sqm/sander shared files

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:27:34 -0400

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> At the time CVS did not support links which is why this was the way it was.
> Maybe git supports links, I haven't looked. If it does then yes we should

I have a git repo that uses hard links. I'm pretty sure I've also used soft
links... In any case, I think git supports soft links.

probably have them as links. Linking sander to sqm though is not very
> elegant in my opinion. Since md.h and memory.h are really 'sander' files.

That's why my first instinct was to link md/memory.h in sqm to the versions
in sander.

> That said the reverse does not work because this stops AmberTools being
> stand alone.

This is why I changed my mind. And also why I think hard links will work
out just fine, since both directories will appear to "own" the file, but
changing one changes the other (and removing one leaves the other intact).

The other option, of course, is Lachele's idea, though that would take some
changing.

Thanks!
Jason

> All the best