Re: [AMBER-Developers] misused intent(out)

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:46:56 -0400

Well intent(out) is applied to an array in which only a chunk of the array
is initialized (the charges of a single residue, or 2, are changed in the
global charge array). According to the Fortran standard, I think the rest
of the array is technically undefined. So it would be legitimate compiler
behavior to trash the remaining array values. If I'm mistaken here, please
correct me. However, after making the necessary changes, the tests still
pass, and have passed for all the systems I've tried, which include the
intel, gnu, and pgi compilers (the only ones we really support anyway). I
haven't tried all versions, but the tests, at least, provide a baseline, as
they should.

Thanks!
Jason

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:16 AM, case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010, Jason Swails wrote:
> >
> > Is a misuse of intent(out) (which should be inout) grounds for a bugfix?
> Or
> > should I just fix it silently for the next version?
>
> I disagree with Scott here: unless some compiler is really giving bad code
> (or
> refusing to compile) because of the error, let's just fix it going forward.
>
> ....dac

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Graduate Student