Re: [AMBER-Developers] configure and makefile questions

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 02:58:26 -0400

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:13:29PM -0400, Ben Roberts wrote:

> First, what would people think about a couple of new flags to configure? I was principally thinking, "-debug" and "-warn". These turning on debugging and compiler warnings respectively. At the moment, building a debug version of Amber requires a bit of ad-hockery in config.h, and doesn't affect some components (those with their own configure scripts that are called by configure) at all.

AMBERBUILDFLAGS is suppose to handle that and last time i used it,
with pgi compilers, it worked:
 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 xxxx 4096 Jun 6 01:38 pgo0gbin
E.g.,
make AMBERBUILDFLAGS='-DDEBUG -Wall -O0 -g'
does it for gnu.

Note that more than half a decade ago, i added the equivalent of your -warn.
Look in an old amber tree configure:
      -verbose Add verbose compiler comment and warning flags.
It was a teasure trove and did all kinds of cool things:
optimization notes, link maps, etc.

> The second question is: I'm a little confused about why a "make uninstall" runs a "make clean"? Most other packages I'm used to don't behave in that way. Is it because we can't really envisage a scenario in which a user would need to run "make uninstall" without cleaning at the same time? I sometimes find myself wanting to make sure I've thrown away one or more executables associated with a particular component of Amber or AT, without necessarily trashing every object file associated with every component.

There have been am-dev threads on this; maybe the gist is in some log.
I agree that it's unconventional.

scott