Re: [AMBER-Developers] New Patch Procedures...

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 19:00:32 -0400

Hello,

only clones the master branch (which is why I thought that was all that was
there, so I'm clearly a n00b in computer[gaming]speak)

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Mark Williamson <mjw.sdsc.edu> wrote:

> case wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 11, 2010, Jason Swails wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I can tell, there's only a master branch in the git repo for
>>> now,
>>> and we do not yet have access to this for committing... (from what I
>>> gathered from Mark's email).
>>>

>> Both the "master" branch and the "amber11" branch are definitely there,
>> but
>> maybe there is some additional incantation needed to get them both -- does
>> "git clone" only get the master branch? Can any git guru help Jason out
>> here?
>>

> Ok, clone the tree:
>

> git clone gitosis.git.ambermd.org:amber.git
>
> Change to the tree's root:
>
> cd amber
>
> List the *all* the branches:
>
> git branch -a
>
> [15:28][bunny:2.27][mjw:amber]$ git branch -a
> * master
> remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
> remotes/origin/amber11
> remotes/origin/master

I got this far... (quite impressive!)

> Switch to the amber11 branch and start to track it:
> git checkout amber11

Complained about no amber11 branch being present. I used the command

git checkout -t -b amber11 (tracking branch amber11)

but it's tracking the wrong branch:
Branch amber11 set up to track local branch master.
Switched to a new branch 'amber11'

so it's just tracking the master of my local repo, obviously not what I
wanted, so I went back and did

git checkout remotes/origin/amber11 and got

Note: moving to 'remotes/origin/amber11' which isn't a local branch
If you want to create a new branch from this checkout, you may do so
(now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:
  git checkout -b <new_branch_name>
HEAD is now at c1a01ff... Ross fix for large gb; this change is actually in
the Amber11.tar file, but not tagged as v_11. This commite fixes that, in
that the "amber11" branch will now contain it.

so I did

git checkout -b amber11

after that, and a "git status" showed

# On branch amber11
nothing to commit (working directory clean)

and "git log" showed Professor Case's latest commit regarding Ross's fix
(which is what I think I want? or do I have to track it?)

gitk shows that my local amber11 is in the same location as git.ambermd.org's
amber11, but will a "git fetch" get changes from ambermd.org's amber11? (git
pull complains of ambiguity). I've read up on (and experimented with) git
using small projects here in the group, but this is delving into more detail
than I've yet been exposed to.

Sorry for the splurge of my consciousness, the email evolved as I tried the
above-mentioned commands (reflecting my chaotic thought-patterns on the
matter). Useful tips/comments from the gurus are quite welcome.

Thanks!
Jason

   Branch amber11 set up to track remote branch amber11 from origin.
> Switched to a new branch 'amber11'
>
> [15:30][bunny:1.35][mjw:amber]$ git branch
> * amber11
> master
> [15:30][bunny:1.30][mjw:amber]$ git branch -a
> * amber11
> master
> remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
> remotes/origin/amber11