Re: [AMBER-Developers] Current parallel test failures in the tree

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:25:19 -0400

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> More likely this test case has VERY bad initial structures since just
> naively setting up end points and allowing an interpolation will lead to
> vlimit errors in NEB. Chances are there is a division by a very small
> number
> occurring here, due to the images being on top of each other, and some
> compilers are more sensitive to rounding this to zero than others. It would
> probably be better if an actual restart from an equilibrated set of
> coordinates was used as the test case, this would likely give a more
> reliable regression test. I'm cc'ing this email to Christina who I hope can
> put together a more realistic test case.

Do you mean realistic in terms of what users should do, or realistic in
terms of what users will probably do? I think that the fact that it works
with the gfortran compilers means there is nothing 'wrong' with the test
cases themselves, and indeed they cover a situation (placing beads on top of
one another) that users will most likely encounter. If all else fails I
suppose changing the test case will have to do as a solution, but meanwhile
I will look into the code here and see if I can't find out what the real
difference between compilers is here and if there is a solution.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if this neb/vlimit stuff happens with the
intel 11 compilers?

-Dan