Re: [AMBER-Developers] pmemd.cuda errors

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:39:50 -0500

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> You need to use the 3.0 toolkit which NVIDIA still hasn't put on their
> website. I'll send you a release candidate version shortly and you can try
> that. Can you also try the test cases. Right now all the PME ones will be
> broken due to the fact the orders of summation have changed drastically but
> all the GB test cases should pass.

I was just getting on here to respond that one of our tesla nodes has
the 3.0b toolkit installed on it, and it worked just fine there, but
it appears that you beat me to it. I knew this was probably a
possibility, but I had used pmemd.cuda with the 2.3 toolkit a couple
months ago (i version i checked out on 1/27 worked just fine).
However, my GB simulation is working just fine with the 3.0 toolkit.
This is available on nvidia's website, but only as a beta download as
far as I knew (i know i've downloaded 3.0 toolkit).

A lot of the tests passed with the 2.3 toolkit (some had the NaN error
everywhere and was just awful). With the 3.0 toolkit, the only
failures were precision differences. They were slightly more
pronounced than the errors in regular sander, but I'll chalk that up
to the single precision being used for the operations. They were
still only differing in the hundredths/thousandths place for values
that were as large as 30,000.

Perhaps I didn't allow the tests to go all the way through the PME
ones... I'll do a more thorough test on Tuesday. A note on compiling,
however. ./configure linux_em64t_cuda gfortran nopar did not work.
It failed at the link step, making some complaint about a reference to
MAIN_ or something. I don't quite recall... It was resolved when I
used the linux_em64t_cuda_SPDP.gfortran config data. If you want/need
more information, I'll be happy to try and re-create the error.

Thanks!
Jason