RE: [AMBER-Developers] Current state of CVS tree. (GNU Compilers)

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:24:04 -0800

> > gcc -v
> > gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-11)
> >
> > gfortran -v
> > gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)
>
> How widespread/important is this rather odd combination? If we are
> using
> gfortran 4.1.2, does that not imply that gcc 4.1.2 must have been built
> at the
> same time? Is this combo the default in important Linux distributions?

This is typical on RedHat 4 installations. I think it goes away with RedHat
5. Basically you can install gfortran which is based on gcc4 and also
install gcc4 but since the whole OS is based on gcc 3.4.6 it installs gcc
with the suffix 4 on everything. Thus in this combination one has to specify
gcc4 in place of gcc for the C compiler.

> Also, if one replaces the gcc 3.4.6 with gcc 4.1.2, does the "cannot
> find
> -lgfortran" error go away?
>
> Such info would be useful in deciding what sort of fix (or not) to make
> here.

Yes. If I edit config.h and change gcc to gcc4 then all is good. The issue
is that there is no gfortran4 so the code happily installs gfortran v4 as
the default fortran compiler while leaving gcc defaulted at 3.4.6.

> any user complaints on this score either. I'm not sure why it is
> popping
> up for Ross now, but we need to collectively decide how much to do
> to support 4.1.2.

This is because I only used to ever use Intel compilers but I figured I
should test the gnu options as well.

All the best
Ross

/\