[AMBER-Developers] Another error (netcdf) with -j8

From: Ben Roberts <roberts.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:27:48 -0500

Hi all,

When I tried compiling AmberTools with -j8 this afternoon, I got this response:

<snip>
Making install in nf_test
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
Making install in nc_test
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
Making install in examples
Making install in C
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
Making install in CDL
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
Making install in F77
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
Making install in F90
make install-am
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[6]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[5]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make install-data-hook

| CAUTION: |
| |
| If you have not already run "make check", then we strongly |
| recommend you do so. It does not take very long. |
| |
| Before using netCDF to store important data, test your |
| build with "make check". |
| |
| NetCDF is tested nightly on many platforms at Unidata |
| but your platform is probably different in some ways. |
| |
| If any tests fail, please see the netCDF web site: |
| http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ |
| |
| NetCDF is developed and maintained at the Unidata Program |
| Center. Unidata provides a broad array of data and software |
| tools for use in geoscience education and research. |
| http://www.unidata.ucar.edu |

make: *** [serial] Error 2

There was no indication as to what "error 2" was in the context, nor why it should cause a failure.

Another dependency problem, or a peculiarity with netCDF compilation? If the latter, maybe the make command for netCDF could be set up such that it's explicitly not -j8.

Cheers,
Ben