Re: [AMBER-Developers] PMEMD now built by default

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:41:37 -0500

The rules weren't completely formed for cygwin. They were install: pmemd and
parallel: pmemd.MPI instead of install: pmemd$(SFX) and parallel:
pmemd.MPI$(SFX), so make was skipping the rules and going default. I have
fixed this and updated the CVS tree - pmemd seems to compile fine under
cygwin now.
-Dan

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu> wrote:

> I would guess that netcdf.mod is not being copied locally - Ross probably
> needs to look at the straight Makefile in writing Makefile_at (the
> netcdf_mod: target) (I am not currently sync'd so not certain, but that's
> what it looks like).
> Regards - Bob
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gustavo Seabra" <
> gustavo.seabra.gmail.com>

> Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:52 PM
>
> Subject: Re: [AMBER-Developers] PMEMD now built by default
>

> Building PMEMD breaks in cygwin:
>
> $ ./configure -cygwin gnu
> [...]
> OK
>
> $ make -f Makefile_at
> [...]
> Compilation of AT ends OK
>
> $ make serial
> [...]
> cpp -traditional -P -DBINTRAJ -DDIRFRC_EFS -DDIRFRC_COMTRANS
> -DDIRFRC_NOVEC -DFFTLOADBAL_2PROC -DPUBFFT bintraj.fpp bintraj.f90
> gfortran -O3 -mtune=generic -msse -mfpmath=sse -c bintraj.f90
> bintraj.f90:73.12:
>
> use netcdf
> 1
> Fatal Error: Can't open module file 'netcdf.mod' for reading at (1):
> No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [bintraj.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/cygdrive/c/Users/seabra/Cygwin-home/local/amber11/src/pmemd/src'
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/cygdrive/c/Users/seabra/Cygwin-home/local/amber11/src/pmemd'
> make: *** [serial] Error 2
>
> Gustavo Seabra
> Professor Adjunto
> Departamento de Química Fundamental
> Universidade Federal de Pernambuco
> Fone: +55-81-2126-7450 Ext. 5021
>

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Oops - said it wrong. I have some pre-em64_t chips where vectorizing the
>> direct force routines (here actually meaning local array caching so code
>> vectorization will be more likely) is helpful; ie., using DIRFRC_NOVEC
>> hurts...
>> - Bob
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Duke" <rduke.email.unc.edu>
>> Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 5:35 PM
>> Subject: Re: [AMBER-Developers] PMEMD now built by default
>>

>> Hi Ross,
>>> I think there are two main factors that influenced optimization, just off
>>> the top of my head: 1) RISC vs. CISC, and 2) amount of cache.
>>> Vectorization
>>> is these days more of a CISC feature, I would think. At any rate, it is
>>> probably harder to predict whether DIRFRC_NOVEC helps or hurts due to the
>>> interplay of several factors (so there actually are pre-em64_t chips
>>> where
>>> it clearly helps). I should try to get my hands on a nehalem to run my
>>> tuning suite, and see what is really optimal these days. FFTW helps about
>>> 10% on a single processor, but the benefit is quickly lost in the noise
>>> past
>>> 2-4 processors. I generally don't bother with it because it is a pain to

-Dan