Re: [AMBER-Developers] PMEMD now built by default

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 17:35:11 -0500

Hi Ross,
I think there are two main factors that influenced optimization, just off
the top of my head: 1) RISC vs. CISC, and 2) amount of cache. Vectorization
is these days more of a CISC feature, I would think. At any rate, it is
probably harder to predict whether DIRFRC_NOVEC helps or hurts due to the
interplay of several factors (so there actually are pre-em64_t chips where
it clearly helps). I should try to get my hands on a nehalem to run my
tuning suite, and see what is really optimal these days. FFTW helps about
10% on a single processor, but the benefit is quickly lost in the noise past
2-4 processors. I generally don't bother with it because it is a pain to do
the compile/link (actually how I feel about netcdf and mkl (especially)
these days). FFTLOADBAL_2PROC is a once-in-a-while useful optimization, but
not critical; it allows assignment of all fft work to one of two processors,
followed by redistribution as necessary. It is one of those things where it
is hard to predict the benefit due to interplay between interconnect speed
vs. caching effects in the fft code. I may be incorrect in assuming this,
but I do assume most folks run on more than 2 processors these days, so it
is not a big deal whether we make it a default or not.
Regards - Bob