Re: [AMBER-Developers] General test failure question

From: Ben Roberts <roberts.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:01:09 -0500

On 26/02/2010, at 11:52 AM, Gustavo Seabra wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM, case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>>>
>>> I suggest a simple "quick-and-dirty" solution: Just put the minuses
>>> ("-") before each test, so the test doesn't stop at any of those,
>>
>> I think(?) that the "-k" flag to make accomplishes the same thing,
>> and
>> involves less instrusion than adding minus signs everywhere.
>>
> Good... I didn't know about this flag. Is there a way to enforce it
> without the user having to put it himself in the make command?
>
> Also, is there a way to force output to a file without the need to
> redirect in every line?
>
> Gustavo.

My solution: Put the make command in a shell script and advise the
user to run the shell script rather than "make" directly.

Like so:

#!/bin/bash

date_string=`date %Y%m%d%H%M%S`

(make -k -f Makefile_at 2>&1) | tee Makefile_at.serial.$
{date_string}.log

That way, there's automatically a log file, timestamped so the user
can, if he or she so wishes, compare the output of different tests.
Also, though I haven't implemented this yet, one could use awk (I
guess...) to count the number of passes/failures/errors at the end of
the shell script; provided the output strings are consistent enough to
be greppable.

Ben