Re: [AMBER-Developers] mpif77 & Fortran 90

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:45:24 -0500

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010, Lachele Foley wrote:

> Trying to make parallel. Get many complaints like below. Fixes, so
> far anyway, if I change config.h auto-generated FC=mpif77 to FC=mpif90.
> (ia64 if relevant) Not sure where to fix or if it will cause trouble
> elsewhere.

Which version of mpi? What does "mpif77 -showme" report? What about
"mpif90 -showme"? How did you configure the MPI?

Here's the deal. There are two things that might require f90 support:
One is just to compile ordinary (non-mpi) code; somehow you seem to have
an mpif77 that doesn't call an f90 compiler; for me, I get something like
this:

poincare% mpif77 -showme
gfortran -I/home/case/amber11/include -L/home/case/amber11/lib -lmpi_f77 -lmpi
-lopen-rte -lopen-pal -lutil

which is fine.

The second aspect is whether or not you need f90 bindings to MPI itself.
Amber doesn't use these, and we can set things like "--disable-mpi-f90" when
configuring openmpi. Thus, I get things like this:

poincare% mpif90 -showme
Unfortunately, this installation of Open MPI was not compiled with
Fortran 90 support. As such, the mpif90 compiler is non-functional.

So, we can't just replace mpif77 with mpif90 in config.h, because that would
make things fail for most folk. We(you) need to figure out what compiler
your mpif77 is calling, and why. Then we need to update the installation
instructions to tell people how to avoid this problem.

...dac