Re: [AMBER-Developers] questions about compiler flags

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:28:38 -0500

If you look at how the pmemd config.h files are written, there is actually
the capability to set optimization level to something less aggressive - this
is in the files under pmemd/config_data. I think currently the two biggest
configuration problems for pmemd are mpi and mkl. For mpi, I think an
argument could be made for moving to mpif77 (we really don't need mpif90) in
place of specifying the compiler - I originally was worried about trusting
any old mpif77 script, but in general this has not been nearly as big a
problem as unpredictability of mpi linkage requirements for a given
installation. For mkl, I think we are stuck having to pray that intel stops
changing things every minor release, and maybe even simplifies things; it
may be too much to hope for. With pmemd, unless you are using generalized
Born, MKL really does not help, so I have taken to mostly not using it
myself.
Regards - Bob