Re: [AMBER-Developers] separation of Amber and AmberTools?

From: Lachele Foley <lfoley.ccrc.uga.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:43:34 -0500

I am also most fond of Option 1 with some modifications as mentioned earlier. I think the pros of the separate releases outweigh the cons and we have to make the cons less con-some. :-) I like having Amber depend on AmberTools to avoid code duplication. I see grand nightmares with trying to maintain two parallel lines of code. Actually, I've seen that nightmare be real (shivering...) and heartily recommend against it. I think Amber should just link in the AT libraries and document well that the AT release is critical to Amber. Perhaps incompatibilities with AT releases after Amber could be resolved by posting Amber bugfixes. The bugfixes wouldn't necessarily incorporate new Amber/AT features, but would just ensure that the AT releases up to some reasonable time after a particular Amber release don't break it.

Re branding: I also think of Amber as the "main" thing and AmberTools as "extra." I also think of AT as "necessary but not sufficient" to Amber and don't see those viewpoints as being incompatible. Is it really so bad to the branding to see it that way? If so, how should I see it? I think from a marketing standpoint, having Amber be "main" is better since Amber costs money. But, feel free to disagree.

:-) Lachele
--
B. Lachele Foley, PhD '92,'02
Assistant Research Scientist