Re: [AMBER-Developers] cygwin issues

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:06:22 -0500

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009, Mengjuei Hsieh wrote:

> It seems that the X11 issue in cygwin can be solved theoretically, is
> that worth of spending time on the src/configure for cygwin's xleap?
>
> Before Cygwin 1.7.1, there was a directory of /usr/X11R6/lib and the
> lib*.a libraries are all in /usr/lib, that causes the problem. New
> cygwin Cygwin 1.7.1 doesn't have this kind of problem, but X11 seems
> to be broken right now.
>
> One other issue for a new cygwin install (mostly 1.7.1), m4 is required
> by flex, but cygwin screw-up the dependency for this one. We might need
> to add m4 into http://ambermd.org/mswindows.html ...

Up until Dec. 23, version 1.7 of cygwin was still listed as "beta", and so
I did not try to give instructions for it at http://ambermd.org/mswindows.
Sigh....

First, I updated the web site to include m4; let me know if you see other
things that need fixing.

Second, our current instructions say to add the -noX11 flag, so people should
be aware of problems (see Note 2 on the web page). I guess it depends on
how hard this is to fix...I wouldn't give this a very high priority myself.
When you say "X11 seems to be broken right now", is this Amber-specific, or a
general problem with cygwin's X11?

....dac