Re: [AMBER-Developers] AT 1.3 config fails for alternate gnu location

From: Volodymyr Babin <vbabin.ncsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:00:09 -0500 (EST)

> We certainly could (as Volodymyr will not doubt suggest) pick up
> environment
> variables so that Lachele could enter something like this:
>
> env CC=/usr/bin/gcc FC=/usr/bin/gfortran CFLAGS="-O2" (etc) \
> ./configure -static -3drism (etc)
>
> My (mildish) objection is that we have to make sure this all works OK, we
> have to document it, and (the real problem): we have to try to remotely
> debug all kinds of weird behavior people will report because they actually
> have a "CC" environment variable without knowing it.
>
> My general feeling is that it is better to make an experienced user like
> Lachele temporarily edit her PATH, than to make things harder than they
> already are for novice users.

1. My suggestion is not really my -- this is something used for
   years by gnu autotools (autoconf/automake/etc). One could try to
   copy just this part (passing CC/FC/etc through environment) while
   still going with the hand-written configure/makefiles. Every platform
   would have its .h file that sets CC/FC/etc; this way configure
   would be (partially) decoupled from the platform-specific stuff.
   I don't know whether it good or bad, but (for my project) I would
   prefer it over one big and smart (hand written) configure.

2. What if every package had its own configure? Like, for example,
   many gnu projects have (xorg/kde/gnome)? I tend to think that for
   C/C++ projects this would be better from every perspective.
   It probably does not make much sense to change the current framework
   significantly, but definitely something to keep in mind for the
   future projects.

Best,

Volodymyr