Re: [AMBER-Developers] SSE2 / SSE3 settings no longer used for ifort?

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:11:55 -0400

Hi,

Please test Amber Tools with intel compilers:
./configure intel
./configure -nosse intel
./configure -altix intel
(the summary for uninterested parties).

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 08:49:05AM -0700, Ross Walker wrote:

> make SSE the default and have a -nosse flag to turn it off? There can't be
> many machines left these days that don't support at least SSE2.

Ok, done -nosse is the option.
There may be a problem with -altix; should that turn sse or nosse ?
sorry cant remmeber and a quick goooogggggle didnt help.

> > > The ipo is a problem since it means all the optimization is done at
> > link
> > > stage and you lose all the benefits of parallel builds and each new
> > make is very expensive. We could specify
> >
> > IMO parallel building is irrelevant; our users will build once and
> > run often; so we should choose the options that produce the fastest
> > still-correct executables. (In addition, this quick make turnaround
>
> these days. The big problem with the -fast option is not actually the
> parallel build but the fact that all optimization is deferred until link
> time. This causes two things to happen. Firstly it makes the linking require
> LOTS of memory. Secondly it means that editing just one file and running
> make again takes ages at the link stage. Hence it is like you made clean
> each time. Of course this does not affect users who we assume will compile
> only once. However, anyone doing development will get very frustrated with
> this and thus we will be using different compiler flags for development as
> we use for release.

I dont get frustrated ...
In addition, if you used ipo then you might see all the great things
that compilers can do ...
Anyway lets ignore this until after at1.3.

> > Now this is where the problems arise and why i commented in my
> > advertisement that this still needs work.
> > Before 1.25 we had
> > ocflags="-O3 -ip -axN"
> > foptflags="-ip -O3 -axP"
> > which is clearly outdated and inconsistent.
> > Now we get:
> > OCFLAGS=-O3 -ip -axS ...
> > FOPTFLAGS= -O3 -ip -axS ...
> > According to my reading of the intel 10 man pages, -axS should get
> > all the possible sse vectorizations. So the next question is - are you
>
> I'm not sure on this. I have the following from the 10.1.018 man pages:
> Hence my read on this is that -axS only supports SSE4 which is the latest
> Nehalam chips. It does not cover SSE3 and below. Hence you need all the
> options which for ifort 10.1 would be. -axSTPW

Ok, i switched it to -axSTPW.

For future work: