RE: [AMBER-Developers] SSE2 / SSE3 settings no longer used for ifort?

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:18:25 -0700

In principle if you use -ax... you get all the code paths so it will run on
multiple chip versions. This should be perfectly good. In practice though
you should be compiling specifically for each architecture you have these
days since the idea of a global 'i386/x86' instruction set is long dead. :-(

These days the acronyms include:
x86,x86_64,ia64,mmx,sse,sse2,sse3,ssse3,sse4.1,sse4.2,3dnow and lots more...

The issue is that these can make such a big performance improvement that we
should definitely be including them if we can.