Re: [AMBER-Developers] sander/nbips problem

From: Ben Roberts <roberts.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:34:21 -0400

case wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009, Ben Roberts wrote:
>> This afternoon, a new checkout of sander from the repository caused me
>> the following problem when I tried to build it:
>
> Just run "make depend" before "make". (Or, do a cvs update).
>
> ....dac

I had already done the CVS update. Possibly several times. And a bunch
of "make cleans". I thought something in there would have triggered a
make depend. Clearly not. For my information, are there any
circumstances in which "make depend" are triggered, except manually?

Make depend works, of course, and now I'm kicking myself for not
thinking of it.

There is, however, no "make depend" that can be run from the top level
source directory. Would it be appropriate to create such a rule? I'm not
talking now about running "make depend" automatically, but rather,
putting a rule in that could be run once from the top level and do all
make depends. Maybe this comes back to what you've mentioned before
about make depend being dangerous if new files have been created, and I
understand that. But if I'm not creating whole new files, it seems to me
that it would be useful to be able to rebuild the dependencies for the
whole tree through one command, instead of having to rebuild for sander
and other places one by one. What do you think? I wouldn't be surprised
if there are several good reasons why that would be a bad idea, but I
thought I'd at least put it forward for consideration.

Thanks,
Ben