Re: [AMBER-Developers] pbsa crashes

From: Andreas Svrcek-Seiler <svrci.tbi.univie.ac.at>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:04:57 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,
> Testing with
> gcc version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)
> has all the pbsa tests passing.
...I still (after a cvs update) get this weird behavior:
Sometimes e.g. pbsa_trx runs through
and then echoes PASSED, most times it crashes. I even tested other
machines to exclude faulty hardware from the possible sources of error.
Valgrind also still reports numerous instances of corrupted memory,
no matter which compiler (also tried icc/ifort in ia32 mode) I use.
usually one gets such on/off errors with competing threads and
faulty openmp programming, but there's no openmp and only one thread,
so I'm stumped.

The last time I observed such puzzling behavior this was caused
by the use of an uninitialzed variable (which was multiplied by zero,
so it never caused numerical trouble). But this was in C (inside NAB),
where it's much easier for me to follow the code.

...very interesting.

best
Andreas