Re: [AMBER-Developers] Amber coding standards

From: David A. Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:12:55 +0000

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009, Joe Krahn wrote:

> In particular, many source files have lines longer than 80 chars

I think this is now supposed to be 132 characters; there still seem to
be some compilers that enforce such a limit. I personally would prefer
an 80 character limit, and 132 is a compromise...

> there are many instances of using // to join long strings rather than
> using & to break a single string literal, and many have lines longer
> than 80 characters. One reason to avoid // is that cpp may interpret
> them as a C++ comment. I assume that this is not really a problem, so
> using // to join strings is safe, even though it should not be used to
> break string literals.

String joins do cause problems, but more because of lack of
understanding about how free-format continuation lines are supposed to
work for long strings. (needing a "&" both at the end of the first line *and*
and the beginning of the next line.)

Please feel free to update the wiki -- it has not had attention for
along time :-(

....dac