Re: amber-developers: ene and ener array mess in sander

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:01:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Robert Duke wrote:

> But what do you REALLY gain here? Not much,

My approach provides a significantly increased chance of correctly
cleaning up the ene( int_bla ) mess, as well as finding lurking bugs.

Since I didnt advocate leaving in the get/set routines, much of
this thread has been irrelevant.
Think of this in terms of states:
everyone agrees on the initial and final states;
Im advocating a couple of intermediate states along the path.
Why ?

This kind of maintenance programming is tedious and error prone.
The intermediate states greatly increase quality assurance at
a tiny cost.

Scott

ps
Yes I know scientific programmers that botched
similar "simple" maintenance tasks.

Here's a software engineering quote you can attribute to me
(unless u can prove otherwise ;)

maintenance programmers creed;
dont introduce more bugs than you fix
(a much higher standard than you think).