Re: amber-developers: Re: PMEMD 10 patch 2

From: Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:29:33 -0400

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Robert Duke wrote:
> Well, I guess my comments are directed at lowering expectations for perfect
> compatibility; you may get your cygwin stuff to work 99.9% of the time, but
> I've played this game at the system interface level, and not everything will
> work.

Well, personally I have not find many problems to date, and I believe
the Cygwin developers deserve some good praise for it. Cygwin has
worked wonderfully for me for a good time. Of course, I'm no "power
user", and only do basic things in cygwin, real calculations are
reserved for real (Linux/Unix) machines.

Most problems I've heard about from other users generally come from
the use of DOS style line endings when cygwin expects UNIX style, and
those can be solved with 'dos2unix' pretty easily.

> Are there possibly differences in the filesystems you guys are
> running on top of here? I would expect NTFS to do a better job than FAT or
> FAT32, though I have not kept up with where NTFS is at in being able to
> emulate a unix filesystem.

Myself, I use NTFS, as do most Windows XP users, so I just assumed
it's the same for Dave. Instead, I would look for some not default
shell options that may be turned on there.

> I would probably dual boot my laptop rather than
> using something like cygwin myself, but that has a lot to do with being
> driven crazy by subtle incompatibilities.

LOL, I guess I've been lucky so far... :-)

Regards,
Gustavo.