Re: amber-developers: Verlet update time and ntt=3 parallel scaling

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 21:38:01 -0400

I think one problem that comes in is when you randomly seed multiple
processors, you actually don't know when two sequences on two different
processes will overlap, but at some point they will. If there is a lot of
state to the generator, presumably any two random seed starting points won't
overlap "soon", but apparently this can be a big enough problem that folks
that do MC can spot interprocessor correlations. So we really have to be
sure of what we are doing. It is interesting to me, and I'll pursue it as I
get time, as long as Tom doesn't shoot me. Then we will be out of the space
where we are worrying about provability.
Regards - Bob